Home Office, 225 Varick Street Suite 301, New York, NY 10014
We Stand For Something Good
Our secret to leading the way in hospitality? We put our people first!
At Shake Shack, our mission is to Stand For Something Good in all that we do. You’ll learn lifelong skills and be empowered to make a positive impact—on our business, restaurants, and communities—all at one of the fastest-growing hospitality brands in the world. From our teams to our neighborhoods, we’re committed to always doing the right thing.
Our teams are the core of what we do and what we stand for—supporting them is part of our DNA. We’ll provide you with learning and growth opportunities to set you up for success in your career. Sharing ideas, having fun, and working collaboratively isn’t just preached, it’s how we do things every day.
The Director of Accounting will be responsible for all facets of our internal accounting operations, including the fiscal close cycle, internal financial reporting, externally reported disclosures, and policy and procedure development in compliance with a SOX internal controls environment.
The Director of Accounting will work closely with the leaders within the Controllership group to ensure timely and accurate internal reporting under GAAP, while adhering to company internal control procedures.
Additionally, the Director of Accounting will continuously evaluate systems and procedures to ensure that the operations of the department are being run in the most efficient and effective manner and aligned with company objectives.
Finally, the Director of Accounting will be responsible for building a high-achieving team that embodies the philosophies of our company culture.
1. Period-end Close
- Manage the period-end financial close process (fiscal month, quarter and year-end).
- Oversee the General Accounting, Fixed Assets and Lease Accounting teams.
- Ensure the process for reviewing various period-end account reconciliations and journal entries are accurate and complete.
- Prepare and/or review various analyses to identify unusual activity and ensure transactions are properly accounted for, including account variance analyses, balance sheet and income statement fluctuation analyses, etc.
- Provide requested support to Tax and Financial Reporting and adhere to external reporting timeline.
- Understand complex issues and work closely with Technical Accounting to ensure proper treatment thereof.
- Facilitate quarterly review and annual audit process. Ensure timely and accurate information flow between the Accounting team, external auditors and Internal Audit.
2. SOX Compliance
- Maintain ownership of SOX key controls related to owned accounts and processes.
- Facilitate both internal and external audits ensuring complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests. Coordinate with internal or external auditors related to owned accounts and processes.
- Continuously evaluate SOX controls in light of changing systems/processes and work with Internal Audit to identify and implement necessary control changes.
- Improve internal control environment to more efficiently monitor transaction risk and financial exposure.
3. Process Improvement
- Review existing processes, structures, and systems to identify improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
- Help drive the reduction of the close timeline by assessing and streamlining close-related activities.
- Evaluate, develop, implement and monitor accounting and operational policies and procedures for owned areas, with an emphasis on improving accuracy and timeliness, reducing risk and strengthening compliance.
- Assist in assessing the impact from and implement the required changes to systems, process, policies and procedures due to new accounting standards, regulatory changes, changes in business strategy, cross-departmental initiatives and other operational changes.
- Manage and/or support the implementation of on-going process improvement initiatives.
4. Coaching and Team Development
- Provide continuous training and leadership to Shake Shack Accounting Team and cultivate an open environment that encourages learning and sharing of ideas, while upholding company core values.
- Perform quarterly check-ins and annual performance reviews for direct report.
- Establish goals for direct reports that are aligned with overall department and company objectives.
- Manage team workload, structure and staffing to ensure balance and alignment of department demands and individual skillsets and career aspirations.
- Identify and communicate key responsibilities, priorities and practices to foster teamwork, a positive work environment and confidence in leadership to achieve business results.
5. Other Duties and Ad Hoc Projects
- Remain current on regulatory changes impacting the Accounting team.
- Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
- Assist with strategic planning and implementation of department/company-wide initiatives.
- Prepare any ad hoc reports and analysis as requested.
- Build and maintain relationships with business leaders. Enhance cross-functional collaboration by fostering trust, commitment, accountability and results.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Skilled with Microsoft Office (Excel, word, Outlook, Access)
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and SOX required.
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Innovative team player. Self-motivated and able to work on cross-functional teams.
- Ability to provide critical feedback and have difficult conversations in a fair, respectful and honest manner.
- Demonstrated experience in continuous improvement initiatives, root cause analysis and project management.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to organize, prioritize, delegate and multi-task responsibilities both individually and for the team.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Minimum 10-12 years of working experience in accounting roles (including minimum 3 years in “Big 4” public accounting firm).
- Mix of public accounting and industry experience at a publicly-traded company required.
- Proven experience leading large, multi-level teams required.
- Restaurant/Retail industry experience preferred.
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA required.
- MBA or Master’s degree preferred.
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Transit Discount Program
401K Plan with Company Match
Paid Time Off Program
Flexible Spending Accounts
Employee Dining Program
Online Training Program
Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
#LI-DL1Pay Range - $141,550.00 - $192,050.00
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy that we "Stand for Something Good."
We are expanding across the U.S. and around the world! Join our #ShackFam
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.